February 1851 Fr. John Furlong receives permission from Archbishop John Purcell of Cincinnati to form St. Patrick Parish. The new Irish parish continues to meet at Holy Cross with different Mass times from the German speakers of Holy Cross.
1852 Fr. James Meagher becomes the pastor of the newly-constituted parish on the corner of Grant Avenue and Naghten Street.
Sept. 5, 1852 Archbishop Purcell lays the cornerstone.
Sept. 25, 1853 Archbishop Purcell solemnly dedicates the new church.
1854 School building is built.
  • Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur for the girls
  • Brothers of the Holy Cross for the boys
1857 Rectory building is constructed.
1866 To relieve overcrowding, St. Joseph (later to become the Cathedral) is established on Broad Street.
1867 St. Patrick’s Pastor, Rev. Edward Fitzgerald, is consecrated Bishop of Little Rock, Arkansas and leaves St. Patrick’s.
1867 Bishop Rosecrans arrives in Columbus as Pastor of St. Patrick’s. St. Patrick’s serves as the pro-cathedral until St. Joseph Cathedral is ready on Christmas Day 1872. Bishop Rosecrans moves to the Cathedral rectory.
1885 Bishop John Watterson invited the Dominican Order to take over administration of St. Patrick’s.
Early 1890’s First church organ is installed.
Sept. 12, 1905 Bishop James Hartley, a son of the parish, invites Dominicans to establish Aquinas High School.
1909 Bishop Hartley donates the main altar in thanksgiving for his vocation.
1920 Present stained glass windows are installed.
May 1935 During routine roof repairs, the entire roof is set ablaze and collapses into the church. Walls and stained glass are preserved.
1935 -1936 Church is repaired and renovated, present Stations of the Cross, organ, and confessionals on the north and south walls are installed. Fr. James McKenna establishes the Shrine and Guild of Blessed Margaret.
1950 Population shifts from city to suburbs. Highways are built and neighborhood is greatly diminished.
1959 Elementary School is closed.
1965 Aquinas High School is closed.
1970-80’s St. Patrick’s is considered an aging inner city parish.
1990 Faithful Roman Catholics are attracted back to St. Patrick’s by its orthodoxy and Dominican preaching.
Late 1990’s Parish realized the goal of building a parish center and refurbishing of church structure.
Sept. 2003 Parish opens new parish center and renovated church building on the date of its Sesquicentennial.